Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Baked Broccoli and Cauliflower in Herbed Oats



So when I decided to bake these flowers today, I knew I didn't want something heavy- no eggs, cheese and stuff. So what's a good binding agent then for this bake? Oats. I cooked the oats, looked at it and went, ewwwww! I don't wanna eat oats. But that was an unimaginitive reaction.

Once I hit those oats with herbs and breadcrumbs and spice, it was a thing of beauty. The flowers baked in it well and added their own aroma. This recipe is a keeper since it is a low-fat one pot dish, and those are my favorite kind.

Baked Broccoli and Cauliflower in Herbed Oats

1/2 cup oats
1 cup milk
1 cup water
1 tbsp oil
20 almonds, in slivers
2 tbsp roasted peanuts
3 cups of broccoli and cauliflower florets
6 tbsp chopped spring onion leaves
salt, pepper to taste
1 tsp chilli flakes, 
2 tsp each dried oregano, parsley
breadcrumbs, as needed.

Cook the oats in the milk and water just so that the oats lose shape.
Cool a bit. To it, add the oil, almond slivers, peanuts, spring onion leaves, salt, pepper, chilli flakes, dried oregano and parsley. 
Place the florets in a baking dish and pour this oats sauce over it. 
Sprinkle the breadcrumbs and gently fold it in a bit, making sure not to incorporate it fully. 
Bake at 180 C for 45 mins.




No comments:

Post a Comment