Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Sweet Potato Filled Zucchini Parcel on Barley Salad



The whole cooking spree that's been going on this month was inspired by my tiny vacation in December. I stayed with a friend in Bangalore and we dined at this quaint place called 'Red Fork'. I had a dish similar to this one there, and it was absolutely delicious. There was a strong feeling in me at the end of the meal- I really want to eat delicious well-presented food often, and the healthier, the better. I've been able to make quite a few dishes since. It's a nice feeling- one that would be even better if a professional cook materialized in my kitchen ever so often, but hey, my millionaire days are just around the corner ;)

This dish is quite easy and quick. Tastes really nice too.

For the Barley Salad

4 tbsp cooked barley
1/2 cup of steamed peas and carrots
3 each roasted and halved cashewnuts and almonds
1 tbsp chopped parsley
salt and paper to taste

Combine all the ingredients and set aside.

For the Filling

2 tbsp mashed, cooked sweet potato
salt and pepper to taste
dry herbs (optional)

Mix all the ingredients into a mash and set aside.

For the Zucchini cover

Cut the zucchini into long strips lengthwise, about 2 mm thick.
Marinate in salt, pepper and lemon juice for an hour.

On a grill pan, add a dash of olive oil and cook the zucchini until soft.

Assembly: Place the salad on  a dish. Shape the sweet potato mash into a cube. Place 4 zucchini strips- in the shape of a cross- two lengthwise, two across. Place the mash in the center and fold the zucchini around it.

I felt that the dish could have benefited with something wet- either a creamy or a zesty sauce.



No comments:

Post a Comment