Thursday, March 16, 2017

Way-too-healthy Cookies!


The problem with maintaining a healthy diet is that when evening comes around, you want something to bite into, and a carrot just doesn't cut it. I've tried that. I eat the carrot and then I pounce on a bag of potato chips in fury- because I made myself eat a carrot.

So I googled high and low for some guilt free yet enjoyable options that I could stock up on, and this cookie recipe caught my eye. After days of trying to get to it, I finally churned out a few batches.

No white sugar
No white flour
No eggs
No butter

I mean, come on!

Oat Flour, coconut oil, flax seeds? This is gonna be brittle sawdust, my inner pessimist told me gloomily.

As soon as they came out of the oven, I tasted a bit of one. I could smell and taste the coconut oil- probably because it came straight from our farm and was really potent. I was a bit disappointed, to be honest, and simply left the tray on the kitchen counter, writing it off as a mistake. However, my mom had one the next day and she told me they were really good. And they were! Apparently, the oil needed time to dissipate or whatever. The ones with the filling which I placed in the fridge were just awesome. So thankfully, my list is off to a good start.

Recipe (slightly modified) from - http://beamingbaker.com/healthier-vegan-chocolate-chip-cookies/

INGREDIENTS
Dry Ingredients
1.5 cups homemade oat flour
¾ cup white whole wheat flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
2 tbsp Hershey's cocoa powder
½ teaspoon coffee powder

Wet Ingredients
⅔ cup frozen coconut oil (10 tbsp)
1 cup dark brown sugar
2 flax eggs (2 tablespoons ground flax + 6 tablespoons warm water, whisk together, let set for 5 mins)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

INSTRUCTIONS

Preheat the oven to 190°C. Line a cookie sheet with parchment or greased foil.
In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients: oat flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa powder, coffee and salt. Set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, add coconut oil and brown sugar. Cut solid coconut oil into sugar. (Cutting tip: you can use a pastry blender or a very sturdy whisk. Using the whisk method, grind the coconut oil into the sugar using a downward, smashing motion. Keep going until you get a slightly grainy, dough-like texture).
Add flax eggs and vanilla to sugar mixture. Whisk until well incorporated.
In thirds, add the dry mixture to the wet mixture. You’ll need to flex some arm muscles for this part: whisk until it gets tough to stir and is a cohesive, well-mixed dough.
Scoop 1.5 tablespoons of cookie dough into your hand and roll into a ball. Make sure the ball is smooth and round (like a globe), otherwise the cookie will spread.
Place these balls evenly spaced apart on the prepared cookie sheet. Flatten slightly.
Bake for 8-10 mins. After removing from the oven, place on a rack and allow it to cool.


The Filling: This is my baby. I experimented and fell in love with it when I first made tarts. It's got just two ingredients- white chocolate and cottage cheese/paneer.

So melt a bit of white chocolate using the double boiler method and to this, add paneer that you've mashed up nicely- either with a spatula or a blender. Mix them up nicely and once it's at room temperature, use it for sandwiching two of the cookies together. It's great in tarts as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment